Luscious lemon mousse cake might be the perfect layer cake. Lemon cake with Limoncello syrup, zesty lemon curd and creamy lemon mousse. (Limoncello liquor is optional.)
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! For many years this was the most popular cake flavor for my custom cake business. Once I introduced the Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake the two cake flavors shared top billing. For the last 5 years I’d say almost half the wedding cakes I sold had two different flavors in the cake; half the servings with the cookie flavor, and the other half with Luscious Lemon Mousse Cake. And this cake is truly luscious!
Yes, this cake is a little bit of a project. But I think it’s totally worth the effort, especially for a special occasion. If you watch the video you’ll see the entire process. It is sped up, but you can see how easily the whole thing comes together once you have all the components in place.
- 1 recipe Vanilla Butter Cake
- Grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 Recipe Lemon Curd divided. Use 1 1/4 cups (12 oz, 340g) for the mousse
- 1 cup (8 oz, 236ml) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 3 tablespoons (1.5 oz, 44ml) Limoncello (use water if you want to avoid alcohol)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 Recipe Italian Meringue Buttercream flavored to taste with lemon extract, lemon zest and Limoncello
- 1/2 Recipe Simple Syrup flavored with 2 tablespoons Limoncello (or more to taste) or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 3/4 cups (16 oz, 455 g) Lemon Curd
- Mix the cake according to the recipe, adding the zest to the dry ingredients and the lemon extract with the vanilla.
- Divide the batter between two 8″ pans lined with a parchment round or buttered and floured. Bake as instructed in the recipe. Wrap the cooled layers and chill until firm (I like to bake the cake a day ahead)
- When you’re ready to assemble the cake, trim the browned edges and domed top off both cakes. Split each cake horizontally so you have a total of 4 cake layers. See how to prep the layers here . Have your syrup and buttercream ready before you begin making the Lemon Mousse.
for full recipes please see : www.baking-sense.com