If you’d like the perfect excuse to indulge in chocolate for breakfast, then you’ll love these Double Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins. Bake a batch and serve them for breakfast, brunch, tea time or as a dessert. The rich homemade chocolate batter is filled with chocolate chips then topped with more just before baking. Serve them warm or at room temperature, there’s just no wrong way to savor a moist chocolate chip filled chocolate muffin.
I’ve heard it said that coffee cake was invented just so we’d have an excuse to eat cake for breakfast. I’m totally fine with that concept. I think muffins are much the same way as they’re very much like a cupcake, aren’t they? These Double Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins are my youngest son’s favorite and he will eat one at any time of day he gets a craving for something sweet. Double the chocolate, double the love.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder Optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk Not fat free
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners. (See Cook’s note)
- In a medium-size mixing bowl use a whisk to sift together the flour, cocoa, granulated and brown sugars, baking powder, baking soda, espresso and salt until evenly combined.
for full recipes please see : www.melissassouthernstylekitchen.com