Are you here for the Carrot Cake Cupcakes or the Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting? Either way, you will be leaving here a happier person. Moist and fluffy, lightly spiced carrot cake cupcakes topped with a rich and luxurious cream cheese frosting – this is what dreams are made of!
Carrot cake was my most requested birthday cake as a child, I have always loved it! So, maybe I’m a little biased, but I can’t imagine that you won’t love these cupcakes. I’ve made this recipe multiple times, and these are always met with rave reviews. Plus, the special twist of adding brown sugar to a typical cream cheese frosting makes these extra special.
I wanted the frosting to be the star of this recipe, so I kept the carrot cake simple. A tender and moist cake, filled with finely grated carrots, and lightly spiced with cinnamon.
I sweeten the cupcakes with a combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar. The brown sugar adds a depth of flavor that you can’t get from white sugar alone. And because we are topping the cupcakes with a generous swirl of frosting, I didn’t want the sweetness factor to be off the chart, so I made the cake itself only lightly sweet. The cake perfectly compliments the decadent frosting.
Note: After a few reader comments about the cupcakes not rising enough, I played around with the recipe to get a slightly higher rise. You will not get a large dome shape, but the cupcakes should give a slight dome just above the top of the cupcake wrapper.
- 1 cup all purpose flour see note
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon increase to 2 teaspoons, if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots about 2 medium/large carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts optional
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened slightly
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened slightly
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, light or dark make sure it’s really fresh
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, applesauce, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined. Add dry ingredients and beat until combined. Stir in carrots and nuts.
for full recipes please see : celebratingsweets.com